Friday, 8 April 2016

My New Attempt At Clearing My Skin


As I am sure a lot of my readers know, I am always trying out new creams/facial products to try to help fight my eczema. I have decided though that it may be time to try something a little different; that being vitamins and seeds.

I have carried out a fair bit of research and decided on 7 different products to see whether they actually help my eczema improve at all. I started using all items just over a week ago and I will update you all in around 6 weeks as to whether it has actually improved my skin at all.

I will tell you exactly what I am using and why.

First of all I will be trying Zinc tablets. Zinc relieves skin irritation and has anti-inflammatory properties. People with eczema tend to produce less of a zinc dependent enzyme needed for the synthesis of fatty acids, therefore someone with eczema will produce less fatty acids than someone without the condition. Fatty acids are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. With zinc helping with the production of fatty acids it can help to relieve the symptoms of itching and inflammation.

Next up is Vitamin D3 tablets. Low vitamin D levels are linked to skin conditions such as eczema. Most people can simply get vitamin D from sun exposure. Whenever I am away on holiday abroad in the sun, my eczema magically clears up completely. However, as I work in an office all day long, I rarely see any sunlight and therefore am not getting the vitamin D that I need.

Then there is Cod Liver Oil tablets. Cod Liver Oil is known for it's anti-allergic properties, high content of Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A and D. It is used for healing wounds and restoring the skin.

I am also trying out Omega 3 Fish Oil tablets.  Omega 3 oils have anti-inflammatory properties and also helps to moisturise the skin from the inside.

Something a little different and a lot more tasty is Actimel drinks. I have decided to try one of these a day as they are pro-biotic drinks. Eczema is commonly linked with a comprised immune system. Pro-biotics are live 'good' bacteria that can help restore a healthy gut and can help reduce inflammation caused by immune dysfunction. Now the Actimel drinks will not work as good as actual pro-biotic supplements but they taste oh so good don't they and plus, with the amount of tablets I am trying above, it is nice to be trying something a little different out.

Next up are the seeds, Organic Chia Seeds and Flaxseed. I put a teaspoon of each of these on my Weetabix every morning.

Chia is the highest plant source of Omega-3. Again, chia seeds are an anti-inflammatory and are rich in antioxidants and help keep your cells nourished and hydrated.

Flaxseed has a combination of healthy fat and high fibre content which again is great for treating eczema due to the high content of the fatty acids in the Flaxseed which again helps with inflammation of the skin. It is also good for weight loss too, bonus.

Now I know I am trying a lot of things at once but why not go all out aye?! If it helps my skin, then I will be ecstatic.

Do you use any vitamins and/or seeds to help improve your skin? Do you have any recommendations for me to try?

Love Lauren
xoxo

24 comments:

  1. goodness me, thats a lot! I take some of those, but not all in one go! let us know how it turns out :D
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know haha, I am just desperate to try to sort my skin out xx

      Delete
  2. Wow this looks interesting! I'd love to hear an update on how it goes!
    Morgan x | www.justmorgs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do, fingers crossed something works xx

      Delete
  3. I've taken supplements since I was 13 years old and I think it's one of the main reasons my skin is in the best condition. I didn't get acne or breakouts throughout my teens, puberty and until now, I rarely get a spot. I take calcium/zinc, multi-vitamins, fish oil, bit C and evening primrose. I used to take Spirulina tablets too which helped tremendously with my dry skin. I highly suggest checking out Spirulina if you can find it because it does wonders to the skin.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never try any kind of this before. but let us know how is it after 6 weeks

    jess x | wellwellgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't take supplements, but heard some good things about em. Flaxseed is good!

    http://missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Omega 3 is really great for the skin. Good luck but remember, your skin is already beautiful!

    besos,
    M
    The Flower Duet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck girl! I use hair skin and nails tablets from Holland and Barrett which are really good X
    www.britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with clearing your skin. My mum has awful eczema and she got rid of nearly all of it by cutting dairy out of her diet xx

    Gemma | missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, lovely blog!
    Wanna follow each other??
    Let me know if you want because i want it too :) Leave a comment on my blog and I'll follow you directly, don't forget to follow mine
    xoxo, Sylvi Gautama
    Sylvi Says Hello & sylviaodilia IG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cod Liver Oil is amazing for the hair too! Great post! xx
    junebugmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Supplementing and boosting your superfood intake can definitely help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well! I'm totally in love with you now! Amazing post, so useful stuff you showed me, thanks! :D
    You go girl!

    I'm still a new blogger so please come to visit and leave a COMMENT for sure!
    http://shawsy.blogspot.com/2015/12/welcome-to-crete.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, good luck with this! I need to get organised and research what vitamins will help me get rid of my acne actually - I must stock up on vitamins and the like, like you have!

    Claire // Technicolour Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to an update on this! Will definitely be interested to hear if it works, I have my fingers crossed! xx

    http://www.thatnewdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've got quite the line-up here. I love Mario Badescu skincare, as I've never found anything better! xx adaatude.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness that is a lot of things, let us know what works best for you!
    xx
    An Unblurred Lady

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! Now you make me want to try some of these. I don't have skin problems, but I do think that I don't get many vitamins from my diet... I just recently started putting chia seeds and flaxseeds in my smoothies. However, I'm not sure if you knew that, but flaxseed should be ground, or else eating it whole will do nothing.. So I like to put it in my blender alone, grind it a bit, and then add the rest of the ingredients, so that I'm sure all the seeds are ground :) xx

    http://beautypeptalk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't suffer with Eczema but I've recently had a change of treatments and I now have copious amounts of spots. I can't wait to read if any of these work for you!

    Cultivation of Jasmin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cod liver oil is a really good supplement!
    http://www.sashaelizabeth.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great post hun!! The fish oil tablets are meant to be great and also cod liver oil is meant to be wonderful - I've heard drinking it as an oil is meant to make your skin look absolutely beautiful….. try a lemon flavoured one!

    Have you tried natural aloe vera too? That's great for soothing/healing your skin if it gets too irritated!

    Layla xx

    http://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/sprinklesofstyle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you really take them all, that's a lot. I just take Vitamin C and good to go, yay! :)


    ♥ from www.expatpetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete