Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Extremely bad skin day today

I have just got back from a lovely relaxing week in Devon. I packed all of my suitcase the night before I left to give me that little extra time in bed before I made the 4 hour trip back to Birmingham on the motorway.

All of my beauty products were at the bottom of my suitcase, so I decided to wash my face with my Olay Daily Facials Cleansing Cloths for sensitive skin which I had in one of my side pockets. I didn't have the original box they came in, only the packet (and due to the fact I could barely use the internet due to lack of service on my phone in Devon) I was unable to check whether they contained Sodium Lauryl  Sulphate but as I have used them plenty of times over the last few years I presumed I would be fine.

I was wrong.

This could possibly be the worst reaction I have ever experienced. My whole face swelled up like crazy. My eyes were that swelled up that I couldn't open them for an hour and when I could eventually open them, it hurt to keep them open.



I could be completely wrong with what caused my reaction but other than the Olay Facial Cloths, I did not use any products that I do not normally use on a daily basis. Now that I am home, I have looked in to the ingredients in Olay Daily Facials Cloths and you guessed it, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is one of the ingredients.

I have always thought the cloths were great before as they have always kept my skin looking glowing in the past but please if you have sensitive skin or eczema, please avoid this product. Even the sensitive skin range as the sensitive range still contains Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which as I have mentioned before is a well known skin irritant!

So for the sake of being lazy and not unpacking my case to be able to get to all of my usual skincare products, I have now suffered this horrible reaction and I will now be even more careful when using any different products. I thought it wouldn't harm me using it once and thought that it couldn't possibly contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, well I won't be assuming again!

Has anyone else experienced any problems with this product?

Love Lauren
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. At least the swelling has gone down now, that must have been so sore! I generally don't use face wipes as even the ones made for sensitive skin are way too harsh!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely won't be using any again, it isn't worth it xx

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for you, hope all gets better soon. I will make sure to check the products from now on. Thanks for the warning xx

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, such a horrible surprise! My skin isn't sensitive at all, but I try to avoid SLS whenever possible. It is just so drying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking at the ingredients, it would be Tocopheryl Acetate [artificial vitamin E] that would set my skin off, despite being known as an irritant it is added to lots of products. and also the paraben preservatives would cause my skin to really swell and itch within a few hours. supposedly you can use microfibre cloths to deep clean, i wonder if a cloth soaked in pure mineral water would be a good substitute to these cleansing wipes.

    ReplyDelete